Sunday, May 10, 2009

Why Now?

I know, I know, I'm due for another video blog update, but I'm a little camera shy, so a conventional post will have to suffice for now (I'll look under the couch cushions and find some courage and motivation for a video blog later this week!).

If I remember correctly I still needed to answer the question - Why now (as in, why am I choosing this particular time in life to move to Uganda)?

This question is definitely complex and has more than one answer, so let me try to prioritize my reasons for you:

1. God has most definitely called me to this at this time and confirmed it over and over again (just ask me if you want to know the how's)...

2. The timing is right. I'm single. There aren't car seats in the back of my car yet. I don't own a house, furniture, or even silverware for that matter...simply put I'm pretty mobile at the moment. Sure, that means I'll be quitting my job, but I've been blessed with a career that will still be in demand when I get back. All this to say, aren't these the years everyone says are the "best of life"? I have not a single reservation in giving them to God.

3. I feel the inner tug of the "something more." You know what I mean - that feeling you get when you get home from yet another day at work to get ready for another one tomorrow and that thought sneaks up on you..."Is this all there is?" I realize we're all wired differently and not everyone seeks challenge and adventure, but I don't want to wake up one day and realize that I've been doing the same thing for 10 years just because it was easy and I lacked the courage to step out in faith. I think this sentiment is one that is common to a lot of us...I've been thinking lately of how many songs I hear echo it as well:







...to name a couple. Those words resonate deeply with me:

"I don't want to spend my whole life asking, What if I had given everything? Instead of going through the motions...."

I know there are more...Do you know of more music/reflections of this sentiment in today's pop culture? It's out there and I believe it's in each of us. Maybe God hasn't called you to Africa like He did with me, but I do know that if you listen He's calling you to step out in faith and trust Him for something in your life....

No comments: