Saturday, September 27, 2008

There's a song by Brett Dennen that goes:

"I wondered how so many can be in so much pain,
While others don't seem to feel a thing
Then I curse my whiteness,
and I get so damn depressed,
In a world of suffering,
Why should I be so blessed?"

...and I've been feeling this way lately. I've found it hard to "let go" of my experience I had in Haiti, but thinking more and more that what I really need to do is "let go" of some lifestyles I've developed here in America. What do I mean? Well, as I peruse the store shelves for another purse I don't need, or gripe when the grocery store is out of my favorite cereal, my friends in Haiti are living in daily suffering which doesn't promise to get better tomorrow. Check out this video below, posted from MSF/Doctors Without Borders.



And so I come to a place in my mind that I have not been able to reconcile yet. God has placed me here in San Jose and He is the One who has given me all the blessings I now enjoy. Because I know this I don't think I must refuse to eat or live move to the streets because of the "staving children in Africa." Rather, my plight now becomes, how must I use my God-given blessings in response the needs so clearly evident throughout the world?

No comments: